Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Motors and Motor Mounts

Motor Mounts
Motor Mounts (alt view)

Mounts with the Motors on them

Mounts with Motors on the Trucks

Mounts with Motors on the Trucks (alt view)
Not much to describe except tap holes properly. I used too big a drill bit and ended up stripping the 1/4 threads I tapped so I had to move up to 5/16 bolts/hole. Doing it this way makes sure it clamps properly and stays in place, plus I can adjust how far up or down the motors are.

50mm Brushless Outrunner Motor
The motors being used is a brushless outrunner (the outside of the motor spins as opposed to the inside which usually does) bought off Hobby King. It is 50mm in diameter, the max voltage it is rated for is 6S (22.2V) and the max rated current is 90A. The max power is 2000W at 22.2V. The motor has 3 leads coming off of it because it uses alternating currents to drive the motor because there is no commutator like on a brushed motor. Therefore the motor requires a motor controller to drive it unlike brushed DC motors that can run directly off a battery. What controller is used will be talked about later. Link to product page on Hobby King

1 comment:

  1. Not much to describe except tap holes properly. I used too big a drill bit and ended up stripping the 1/4 threads I tapped so I had to move up to ... ielectriclongboard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete